My Fun with Engaging Seniors with Comedy & Improv
I have been developing a comedy program for people living in senior independent and assisted living communities. Although challenging at times, I love combining my standup comedy with improv. This engages seniors in ways that invite them to be silly, laugh with one another and talk about fond memories.
The stories I have heard and the wealth of people I have met has made this journey exceptional. For example, I met a 93 year old women who saw Babe Ruth play baseball, another one who met Lou Gehrig when she was seven years old. One woman used to do standup comedy on cruise ships and I met a man who will turn 100 this February. I love interacting with the residents, whether it’s shaking hands or listening to some story from years ago.
In 2016 I had the opportunity to perform at the following places:
- Baylake Retirement – http://www.rui.net/bay-lake
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help – http://www.ourladyperpetualhelp.com
- Talbot on Granby – https://www.fivestarseniorliving.com/communities/va/norfolk/the-talbot-on-granby
- The Gardens of Virginia Beach – https://www.fivestarseniorliving.com/communities/va/virginia-beach/the-gardens-of-virginia-beach
- Atlantic Shores Retirement Community – https://www.atlanticshoresliving.com